Understanding Health Insurance
Find the coverage that’s right for you.
At Sharp, we accept almost all health insurance plans, including Sharp Health Plan. Whether you have coverage through your employer or have purchased insurance on your own, we’ll help you understand the different insurance options so you can get the coverage you need.
Tips for choosing a health plan.
When choosing your health insurance plan, make sure you consider the following questions:
Which plans do your existing or preferred doctors accept?
Sharp HealthCare accepts almost all health insurance plans, including Sharp Health Plan. Please confirm your coverage with your insurance provider to verify that you can receive care from your selected or preferred Sharp-affiliated doctor.
What are the differences in costs?
Look at the monthly premium, copayment, deductible, coinsurance (if applicable) and out-of-pocket responsibility. If you have any questions about covered services and costs, please call your insurance provider to confirm those important coverage details.
- The copayment, or copay, is the fixed amount you pay for a specific service (such as $25 for each doctor’s visit).
- The deductible is the annual amount that you must pay, out of pocket, before your insurance begins reimbursing for eligible services. For example, if your deductible is $500, then your insurance won’t pay anything until you’ve paid your $500 deductible for the year.
- Coinsurance takes place when you reach your deductible and you and your insurance plan share in paying a percentage of the remaining costs. The percentage you pay of the remaining costs depends on your plan. For example, if your deductible has been met and your coinsurance is 20 percent, your plan will cover the remaining 80 percent of covered services. Typically, you will pay your percentage of costs until you reach your plan’s out-of-pocket maximum.
- Your out-of-pocket costs will depend on how often you need care. Many plans have an annual out-of-pocket maximum cost.
What are the differences in benefits?
Some plans include special programs for chronic health conditions, while others offer financial assistance programs. Be sure to review the added benefits your plan will include.
Understanding Sharp’s medical groups.
Sharp offers three medical groups to make it easy for you to find a doctor who is the perfect fit. No matter which medical group you choose, you will receive:
- Convenient access to Sharp medical offices and hospitals
- Coordinated care provided by a primary care doctor who works in partnership with you and your specialists to maintain your optimal health
- Clinical excellence delivered with understanding and compassion — a level of care we call The Sharp Experience
Learn about Sharp’s three medical groups: Sharp Community Medical Group, Sharp Rees-Stealy Medical Group and SharpCare Medical Group.
Finding the doctor who is right for you.
We make it easy to choose a Sharp-affiliated doctor.
- Search online with our quick, easy-to-use Find a Doctor tool
- Call 1-800-82-SHARP (1-800-827-4277), Monday through Friday, 7 am to 7 pm, to speak with a physician referral nurse who knows our doctors and can help you find the best match
Need help with your decision? Browse through our commonly asked questions about receiving care at Sharp, check out our tips for choosing a physician or chat with us. And don’t forget to call your insurance provider to confirm the doctor you choose is in its network.
Coverage for existing Sharp patients.
Plans change year to year. Even if you don’t anticipate making any changes to your coverage during the annual open enrollment period, please verify with your insurance provider that your plan will continue to be accepted by your Sharp-affiliated doctor.
Navigating health insurance — what you need to know
We'll help find the doctor who's right for you.
View doctors specializing in primary care in San Diego.
"I provide complete health care for the whole family in a friendly and caring community practice."
"Our practice is successful because we do what is best for the patient first, the group second and the physician third."
"I understand my patients' sacrifice of time and ensure positive experiences while in my care."
"The Sharp Experience is a team who is working hard towards one goal of transforming the healthcare experience for our community."
"The Sharp Experience signifies knowledge and caring for the betterment of the community."
"I strive to educate patients so they can make the best decisions for their health and well-being."